They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day – therefore why not add colour, taste and a good level of protein to your dish with a take on a classic Turkish breakfast dish.
This Turkish breakfast will easily feed four people so if you’ve got a partner and some little ones to feed this will give them the nutrients they need to start the day, and of course you can always add your own carbohydrates on the side if you want to add more to your morning feast.
It may look rather complex, but it is in fact fairly simple to make, just make sure you handle the piping hot iron skillet with care!
- Cast iron skillet (can go in the oven)
- 1/2 cup Mixed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Tomato puree
- 1/2 Large bell pepper (colour of choice)
- 6 sprigs Spring onion
- 1 tsp Ground chilli
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 6 Medium eggs
- 1 Pinch Chilli flakes
- 1 Pinch Himalayan salt
- 1 Pinch Black pepper
- Fresh parsley
- Prep the pan by coating with the olive oil. Heap in the tomato purée and chilli followed by the chopped peppers and onion and spread around the pan.
- Crack in the eggs evenly around the edges of the pan and in the middle and then season with the paprika, salt, pepper and chilli flakes. Bake at 180 for 20 minutes.
- Once fully baked, throw on the chopped parsley and two tbsp on pomegranate seeds.
One of our good friends commented: “Add some sucuk and halloumi to your menemen” – so if that’s your traditional preference then go right ahead…. We really love this dish and don’t feel stuffed after eating it and those pomegranates are a delightful complement to the palette.
We want to hear about your variations.
Leave them in the comments below…