A quick and easy recipe leaning more towards a midday meal rather than an evening meal, but it really could be either.
The colour and balance of flavour within this pancetta and kale salad is ideal for those of you that like that slightly salty taste of pancetta, along with the flavours of extra virgin olive oil soaking through the kale, with the addition of feta cooling off the palette.
You can always add pomegranate as we sometimes do to balance the slightly saltier flavours even more.
Pancetta & Kale Salad
- Large Bowl
- 100 g Pancetta
- 100 g Kale
- 1/3 cup Walnuts
- 1 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- Heat the olive oil in the pan on a medium to high heat before cooking the pancetta. Season to your tasting, the fat in the pancetta holds a lot of amazing flavour on its own. The diced pieces are small and will cook healthily in 5 minutes.
- Remove the pancetta from the pan and lower to a medium heat, careful to leave the oil and juices from the meat in the pan. The left over oil will contain the flavour from the pancetta, great for cooking with the Kale.
- Chop the Kale into smaller pieces and cook t for 5 minutes, not to overcook and lose it's crunchiness.
- In a large bowl, mix the cooked kale and pancetta with the walnuts and sprinkle the feta cheese on top.
Remember you can always add some pomegranate or other neutralising foods to balance the saltier flavour this dish provides. And don’t forget that cooking foods too long and at too high a heat can damage the food matrix and even produce carcinogens, so it’s best to be a little patient with this dish too.
Leave your questions and comments below.